In the recent report, it is seen that a New York college student has filed a lawsuit against the biggest smartphone maker Apple for $1 billion. In his lawsuit that he has filed against the company said that the company has alleged use the facial recognition software in the stores falsely and linked him with the series of thefts in the Apple stores itself.
Ousmane Bah, 18-year-old teen who got arrested at his home in November now, alleges that the warrant that he was charged was served includes a photo of some other person in place his photo. In his lawsuit, he also claims that a detective who is with the New York Police Department has concluded that the thief caught by the store surveillance camera and the images that are present in the camera does not resemble Bah at all.
As per the lawsuit papers, that was filed on Monday in Manhattan federal court; it said that 18-year-old Ousmane Bah claims that he has got a summons from a court in Boston in which it said that he had stolen about $1,200 worth Apple products in the year 2018. The products that the company has said to get stolen includes the Apple Pencils whose market worth is about $99 each.
In other reports, it said that on the day of theft in Boston Apple Store, Bah was attending his senior prom in Manhattan. This was said in a document which was presented to the court. The lawsuit filed by him claims that Bah was falsely blamed for Apple Store robbery in New Jersey, Delaware, and Manhattan.
It was said that Bah had previously lost his non-photo learner’s permit. It was now said that this might have been found or got stolen by the real thief and later the thief has used the same thing as the identification in Apple stores. Due to all this, Bah claimed that his name had been mistakenly connected with the thief’s face in Apple facial recognition system. The photo that is stored in this system is used by Apple to detect and track the people who all are suspected for the theft.
It was seen that NYPD then arrested him on 29th November 2018 for robbery charges in Apple stores. After that when a detective who was investigating for the Bah viewed the surveillance footage from the Manhattan store and concluded that the suspect in the footage does not look like Bah.
In a statement from the Bah, he said that he was forced to respond to the multiple false allegations which have led to go for severe stress as well as hardship. But now all the charges against Bah has been dropped but in New Jersey, the case is still pending, and the case against him is not dropped.
On Tuesday, Apple said in a statement that it does not use any facial recognition in the stores. Another security firm named as Security Industry specialist Inc., who is the defendant, in this case, has declined to comment on this suit.